Nothing lovelier than spending a rainy overcast day with the remote and watching various cooking shows. On Diners, Dives and Drivethru's - Guy visited a place that made blubbery muffin french toast, intrigued, I decided to give it a try. Wow! This is some serious breakfast/brunch goodness. Kitchen notes: I made my blueberry muffin bread the day prior to the french toast - it gave it time to set up as I was worried about it being too moist the day I baked it and feared it would fall apart once dipped in the egg batter.
Blueberry Muffin Bread
Yield 8 large muffins/ 9x9 pan/loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups/9x9 pan. Kitchen Note: You could also use a loaf pan to get more traditional slices for your french toast.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill to one cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top or pour into 9x9 greased pan and top with crumb topping.
- To make crumb topping: Mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins/bread before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done. (knife comes out clean)
- I cooled in the pan on a baking rack for 10 minutes and then released from pan onto plate. We enjoyed a couple of warm slices for breakfast and I let the rest completely cool then sliced into squares and then stored covered overnight for blueberry muffin french toast the next morning.
Blueberry Muffin French Toast:
slices/squares blueberry muffin bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Butter for frying
- Mix eggs, milk and cinnamon together.
- Dip slices of blueberry bread into egg batter and fry in melted butter until crispy on both sides.
- Enjoy while hot with syrup. And more butter!